Unicode naming problem

Jun 25, 2012 at 2:28 AM

Hi, wvd_vegt! Hope you're going well.

I've seen you're planning to rewrite the app - good news =) looking forward for an update!

However, I'd like to point out a problem I am experiencing last year (once I started using Windows 7)

Problem is: when I am trying to download an album with Unicode file names, application names them in a weird mode, for example:

- instead of

Image(476).jpg

it saves file as

Image%252528476%252529.jpg

But the main problem if file pretty long, about 15 letters for instance, application just shows an error "File name is too long" and skips the file.

I hope you could fix this problem as well.

Have a good one!

Cheers,

Stan

Coordinator
Jun 26, 2012 at 10:48 AM

Hi,

I'll look into this problem.

The file name to long has to do with a windows limit of 254 characters for a complete path. The only workaround is to tweak the naming rule into saving elsewhere (closer to the disk root).

thanks for reporting and regards

wvd_vegt

 

Jun 26, 2012 at 12:05 PM

Hi wvd_vegt,

Thank you for fast reply!

Yes, I understand 254 characters limitation, I just tested your solution to save files closer to the root folder and it works for me.

However, the root of the problem is that instead of one character file name has seven characters, in my example '(' named as '%252528' If original file name has 15 characters it converts into 105 characters and so on... I hope you could fix this naming issue in future release, because a directory full of files with such names looks insane ;) :

%2525D0%2525BF%2525D1%25258C%2525D1%25258F%2525D0%2525BD%2525D1%25258B%2525D0%2525B5%252520%2525D0%2525BA%2525D1%252583%2525D0%2525BF%2525D0%2525B0%2525D1%25258E%2525D1%252582%2525D1%252581%2525D1%25258F.jpg

Have a good one!

Cheers,

Stan

Coordinator
Jun 26, 2012 at 1:26 PM

Hi

The encoding seems a kind of html escape as

%25 = %, 

then

%2525 = %25

and

%252528 would become %28 which is a left bracket '('.

So to be sure (so i can reproduce) you uploaded  just a file named Image(476).jpg to picasa?

regards
Wim van der Vegt

 

 

Jun 27, 2012 at 1:17 AM

Hello,

I just uploaded two photos in a test album: https://picasaweb.google.com/108084307357136309409/Test

You can check the correct file name by selecting 'Download photo' from Picasa web interface, when I saved this albums via app I got long names instead:

%2525D0%252598%2525D0%2525B7%2525D0%2525BE%2525D0%2525B1%2525D1%252580%2525D0%2525B0%2525D0%2525B6%2525D0%2525B5%2525D0%2525BD%2525D0%2525B8%2525D0%2525B5%252520123.jpg

Image%252528476%252529.jpg


Best Regards,

Stan

Coordinator
Jun 27, 2012 at 2:11 PM

Hi

If the first photo is called 'Изображение 123.jpg' then the uploaded code is working just fine.

I've added code that unescapes the image filename until there are no more %nn sequences left. That should do the trick as i notices the names are escaped multiple times.

I also got a stop button and the escape key working porperly to abort downloads. Finally i switches to dotnet 4.0 and used Tasks instead of the backgroundWorker class i used to do the actual download.

Only 'known' issue left is that the gui translation option is no longer full functional as the free version of Google translate went off-line some months ago.

Thanks for

regards
Wim

Jun 28, 2012 at 12:54 PM

Hi Wim,

Thank you very much for such a fast fix! Please accept my modest donation ;-)

Just tested new version, 99% of file names saved correctly! Some files with no visible reason still saving in UrlEncoded mode, but shorter version:

%D0%A1%D0%A2%D0%A0.jpg

instead of

%2525D0%2525A1%2525D0%2525A2%2525D0%2525A0.jpg

And original name is:

СТР.jpg

Album link: https://picasaweb.google.com/Vinnik11/200505#5103342674078609186

It is not critical, but just for your information =)

All other features seems to be working fine. I used to have some 'time-out' errors for some files but I blame my Internet connection. Moreover, I didn't received such messages during the test today =)

Thank you one more time!

Have a good day!

Best Regards,

Stan

Coordinator
Jun 28, 2012 at 1:01 PM

Hi Stan

First of all thanks for the donation!

I see the error (so i'll update later today). The detection regex only detects % followed by two numbers and does not account for hex digits.

Thanks for reporting!

regards

Wim

 

Coordinator
Jun 29, 2012 at 10:11 AM

Hi Stan

I've fixed this hex code filename encoding problem and will upload an update to codeplex in moment.

The only encoding issue I see is that the list of albums of the 'Vinnik11' still contains one album with characters my computer won't show (it shows two black character with a question mark on it). The album titles are unicode encoded so i assume it's a font problem somehow. The rest of the titles shows just fine.

The downloaded directory however is correct.

regards

Wim

Jun 29, 2012 at 1:02 PM

Hi Wim,

Thank you very much or your support! Will update application and test :)

I noticed strange symbols in album name too, but as you said folder name was created just fine!

Also, I would like to ask you if you are planning to include support for some other photo services, such as Flickr, Rajce.Idnes.cz etc. I am especially interested in Rajce.Idnes.cz - it is pretty good resource but absolutely without any software part =)

Have a nice day and a great weekend!

Cheerio,

Stan

 

Coordinator
Jul 1, 2012 at 8:25 PM

Hi Stan

I currently have no plans of supporting other services but i will take a look into the flickr API and others ones again.

regards

Wim