This project has moved and is read-only. For the latest updates, please go here.

Download errors

Oct 17, 2012 at 6:15 AM
Edited Oct 17, 2012 at 7:01 AM

Hi wvd_vegt,

First of all I would like to thank you one more time for your great application!

However, I have a question about a problem which I already asked about a while ago :-) Sometimes, then internet connection is not so good, there are a lot of download errors in 'Summary' window, like here:

It is a real pain to go through all this files on by one and save them manually :-) and also you should open another copy of the 'Picasa Downloader' for this task, as the main window is blocked and 'Summary' window doesn't interact (except for 'OK' button ;-) )

Is it possible to implement a function to restart download for listed files, like a 'Retry' button near 'OK' button, or implement a kind of content menu in 'Summary' window to reload or preview files?

Another problem - if an album has quotes in the name, like "Example name", it shows an error in Summary "Illegal characters in file name". Is it possible just to skip quotes and make utility save album in folder Example name instead?

Thank you in advance!

Oct 17, 2012 at 1:56 PM

Hi sts_pro,

I'll look into it as soon as possible (bit busy at the moment).

I think it's not a big problem to code but testing it is hard (my internet is pretty flawless these days). So are your willing to test a bit for me?

regards
wvd_vegt

Oct 17, 2012 at 11:08 PM

Hi wvd_vegt, thank you for the prompt reply!

I'll assist you with pleasure =)

Have a good one,

sts_pro

Dec 24, 2012 at 5:43 PM
Edited Dec 24, 2012 at 5:47 PM

Hi sts_pro,

I've rewritten the download part to use .net 4.0 task and implemented a resume option for failed albums (it will download the remaining from the queue).

This option is hidden in the right click menu of the album list.

If there are error messages, a summary form will pop-up after transfer.

If you have time to test this version under your internet conditions, i would very much appreciate it.

regards
wvd_vegt

Dec 26, 2012 at 7:11 AM

Hi wvd_vegt,

I am going to download the app right now and will start testing it. I will update you with the results later.

Thank you for the update!

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year!

Cheers,

sts_pro

Dec 26, 2012 at 7:56 AM
Edited Dec 26, 2012 at 7:59 AM

Hi wvd_vegt,

I found a first bugs =) I already tried portable version and clean install (after deletion of the old version): application ignores Download or CTRL+Download button and shows message "# Album(s) Fetched" straight a way. If I select an album (or all albums) and use "Download All" function from the context menu, application downloads only one album, on which name I opened context menu. Here are the screenshots:

1. As you cans see 162 albums fetched, but zero photos downloaded

https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-NauZb8YWGIU/UNqs4rpVAhI/AAAAAAAAApk/9qTf4-lQIdw/s615/001.PNG

2. Then I used "Download All" option and I album was downloaded. All other selected albums were ignored again

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-wMnoUx1kvys/UNqs4lyqaHI/AAAAAAAAApo/PbnLNsC-RGI/s619/002.PNG

3. This error I've got then I pressed "Download" button again, after the selected albums were downloaded:

https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-CWLtV1OxVdo/UNquEqEoJ8I/AAAAAAAAAp8/dDqQnBNbWlA/s444/003.PNG

And the last problem I noticed is: then I started 2nd copy of PicasaDownloader both instances hang and download stopped.

Will continue testing though =)

Have a good one,

sts_pro

Dec 26, 2012 at 11:22 AM

Hi sts_pro

Thanks for testing, I already see one problem, the download all only downloads the focussed item (and not the selected ones as intented).

The error message i have to look into (but it's related to the statusbar so should be easy to find).

I will solve it later today (got some hardware to repait first).

regards
wvd_vegt

Dec 26, 2012 at 2:48 PM

Hi sts_pro,

I've uploaded a new release that 'fixes' most of the problems.

It was by (bad) design that the rigth click menu only worked on the selected focussed item. I changed that to the more intuiitive selected items. The download button always worked on the selected items.

I also fixed a bug in the resume of aborted download, the abort flag was not reset for the context menuitems.

Finally I added some safeguards around the progressbar value. I could not reproduce the bug about this you reported.

Also running two instances did not lead to errors/freezes on my computer, both instances happily download images.

regards
wvd_vegt

Dec 26, 2012 at 9:07 PM

Hi wvd_vegt,

Thank you for super-fast actioning! I suspected some problems are related with my system only - will check them on other computer.

Downloading the new release now and continuing testing =)

Best Regards,

sts_pro

Dec 27, 2012 at 10:11 PM

Hi wvd_vegt,

I am continuing testing and my internet connection seems to be too stable :-) I started really big profile download to stess-test the app =)However, I've got other two errors which I'd like to share:

1. Apparently there is a problem to save an album if it has quotes in name (see screnshot):

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-tBZgYVRR4uw/UNzAJzpLHGI/AAAAAAAAAqQ/R-u6EoRSfvU/s884/Illegal%2520characters%2520in%2520path.PNG

2. Some photos in some albums not saving without any obvious reason (see other screenshot as example):

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-tlvHeY39QFU/UNzAKDkOPfI/AAAAAAAAAqM/9m-vNyHP3ec/s924/Some%2520issues%2520with%2520the%2520filename.PNG

Sixty photos out of sixty eight were saved with no problems, but the listed 8 photos were skipped:

https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-s-punoFEGPw/UNzBNnVnKiI/AAAAAAAAAqc/r_6gGKoI4n0/s610/after%2520error1.PNG

I tried to fix this problem and used 'Continue Download' option. After I got no error message, that number after album name didn't change (60 of 68) but some empty files were created in the directory:

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-qCzMN1XEe24/UNzBN4ibT0I/AAAAAAAAAqg/hB1JVFfksHA/s924/after%2520error2.PNG

3. Also, I have a question: I usually download full sized photos if possible, so I use CTRL+Download combination. Does CTRL+'Download Selected' or CTRL+'Continue Download' work? It would be great to continue with full sized photos download =)

4. And the last couple problems: as I mentioned I selected really big profile to test the application which consists of 1200 albums+ (112385036621246460812) and what I noticed:

- PicasaDownloader still shows only 1000 albums in the list

- Also, I am pretty sure last problem is related with my system only, I cannot see main window of the PicasaDownloader this morning. As I see in explorer files are downloading, but then I am switching to the app window it is not maximising...

I will continue testing and will update you later.

Thank you for your support!

Have a good one,

Stan

Dec 28, 2012 at 10:47 AM
Edited Dec 28, 2012 at 11:05 AM

Hi

I'll answer the points one at a time:

1. Good one, i'll have to add replacement of illegal characters. Can you post me the UserId/AlbumId?
  2. Can you post the filename mask you're using?
  3. Should not be much of a problem (but again this is hightly undocumented and works by manipulating the url). That's why both options are a bit hidden away by the Ctrl-Click.
    I just verified and as i keep a list of thing to download, it will resume at the previously chosen method (std or highest/original dimensions). I noticed a 2nd pro of using the highest/original resolution download and that is that camera metadata is preserved.
  4. You have to Ctrl-Click the list button (and not press enter or you have to Ctrl-Click a second time).
    I see 1202 public albums for that account (so indeed 1200+).
    Note this feature is unsupported and works by appending '?ShowAll=true' to the query and examining the html page downloaded for a piece of json (discovered it by accident).

regards
wvd_vegt

Dec 28, 2012 at 11:48 PM

Hi st_pro,

I hopefully fixed the saving problems (it wa a nasty GDI+ error that seems to pop-up every now and then).

I successully download all 162 albums at full resolution including the error error ones (it repoduced nicely in 3 albums so was 'easy' to debug and fix.

As for the application failing to show after minimizing, you can use the task manager 's bring to front option in the meantime as a workaround. I have to find the cause and it might take some time.

I also reworked the setup dialog to be more easy and escaped all illegal characters in path & filename.

regards
wvd_vegt

Dec 29, 2012 at 10:59 AM

Hi wvd_vegt,

Just finished testing of the latest version and most of the problems seems to be fixed!

I tried continuing download and it works fine to me - all files skipped in first run seems to be downloaded successfully.

Also, CTRL+List showed all 1202 albums of the user, so I will keep it in mind ;-)

Regarding naming pattern - I see you changed set up window in latest release, it looks nice =) I used following filename mask:

..\{Owner}@picasa\{Album}\{Original Name}

So it was creating folder with UserName, subfolder with AlbumName and put files with original names inside. Unfortunately, now I can't use this pattern, because '\' character is treated as illegal and is replaced by '_'. I hope you could find the way how to avoid this problem, because it is really handy to create such a folder structure =) May be it is possible not to escape '\' character received from INI file?

Thanks again for your help! =)

Have a good one,

sts_pro

Jan 1, 2013 at 11:45 PM
Edited Jan 1, 2013 at 11:45 PM

Hi wvd_vegt,

I am continuing testing the app and found another issue:

I noticed a 2nd pro of using the highest/original resolution download and that is that camera metadata is preserved.

Unfortunately, latest version is downloading photos in full resolution, but without EXIF data and resulting file size is much smaller than original (2Mb instead of 6Mb). I compared files downloaded with previous version on December 29th and today's photos (still using tha same profile as an example 112385036621246460812)

Have a good day,

sts_pro

Jan 3, 2013 at 1:31 AM

Hi wvd_vegt,

How's it going?

I found another small issue =) If an album has two or more dots in the name, PicasaDownloader returns an error:

https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-5Kmklop345Q/UOTfThqS4bI/AAAAAAAAArA/jF1DA-b4Bks/s593/issues_%2528...%2529.PNG

Best regards,

sts_pro

Mar 4, 2013 at 1:24 PM
This discussion has been copied to a work item. Click here to go to the work item and continue the discussion.