This project has moved and is read-only. For the latest updates, please go here.

Picasa Downloader

Dec 4, 2009 at 1:36 PM

Please leave usefull comments and suggestions here.

Mar 4, 2010 at 1:23 PM

Hi wvd_vegt,

Now, I test this pretty tool actively =) Though, the program is very well organized and its user interface is near perfect, I found some things which will be great to fix ;-)

Firstly, when my Internet connection is used actively, for example when I'm downloading something or surfing a lot, Picasa Downloader gives me the connection lost message "Either Picasa is down..." It is not a big problem when I'm surfing and I can press OK button. But when I am downloading something while I'm sleeping or working and this message appears downloading stops. So, then I see this message I understand what nothing is downloaded during my spare time and I should begin again =) It will be great if the program will try to download a photo several times and then put it in the end of the queue. It could try to download it later and if error repeats give the message or write a log only at the end.

Secondly, similar problem with another pop-up error message. If downloading path is too long (If  album name is too long for instance =) ) or contains some unsupported symbol (" * ? etc), then an error message pops up and downloading process stops. Moreover, in this situation it is difficult to solve this problem even if I am near PC. Message pops up for every photo in an album and could appear for 200 or more times (depending on number of photos in an album ;-) ) Solution I could offer is the same for the first problem - show error message only once at the end of whole queue or write an error log.

There are no more problems I could find for now =)))

Best regards and *thumbs up*,

Steve

Mar 4, 2010 at 5:15 PM

Hi,

Solution sounds good, only show some summary dialog after everything has completed.

I will implement it as soon as possible and perhaps increase download timeouts a bit and maybe add some retry functionality if thats easy to do.

Mar 5, 2010 at 12:33 PM

Just uploaded a new release with the feature you asked. It will show a Summary dialog if any errors have occurred.

Dec 22, 2010 at 11:20 AM

Hi, it's possible download only a single photo? i need to download sametime a big photo, i wouldn't re-download antire/all  album.

I hope in rapid solution.

Best regards

Valerio Radice

Dec 24, 2010 at 4:12 AM
wvd_vegt wrote:

Hi,

Solution sounds good, only show some summary dialog after everything has completed.

I will implement it as soon as possible and perhaps increase download timeouts a bit and maybe add some retry functionality if thats easy to do.

Hi wvd_vegt,

Didn't hear from you for a long time. Hope you're ok =)

Wish you a Merry Christmas and Happy New Year!

And waiting for new versions of your lovely program ;-)

Dec 24, 2010 at 3:36 PM
Edited Dec 24, 2010 at 3:40 PM

Hi valix85,

Yes You can download a single photo. 

1. Rightclicking the album and choose 'preview'.
  2. In this preview the thumbnail images are linked directly to the photo at Picasa.
  3. Rightclick a thumbnail and choose 'save target as'.

should do the trick.

Dec 24, 2010 at 3:40 PM

Hi,

Thanks sts_pro and a happy xmas too.

Currently I'm working on other projects but hope to revisted PicasaDownloader soon.

From the comments so far I noticed the setup dialog is pretty spartan and help could be improved. There are also some bugs related to other components I wrote like the translation dialog i need to fix.

But as usual work comes first.

Feb 11, 2011 at 10:35 PM

Loving the program. D/L'ed it just the other day. I wish that I had come here before starting to use it as I have learned a few tips. The best two are adding {Owner} to the d/l path and Ctrl+Download to get original sized images.

Thanks for your work.